When writing an assignment, you will use various sources to find information. You must acknowledge the ideas taken from any resources you use.
There are several reasons why you should acknowledge your sources:
- to avoid plagiarism (sometimes referred to as cheating or stealing). Failure to properly acknowledge when you have used the work of others means you are implying that the idea or words are yours. Plagiarising has consequences is likely to affect your academic progress.
- to show you have read widely to gain an understanding of the topic
- to support your arguments with evidence
- so that your tutor can locate the sources referred to
- you almost always get marks for accurate referencing
See the Info guide on Academic Integrity for more information.