1. You access Turnitin through the website www.turnitin.com
2. Your first report and subsequent two reports should generate quickly, within 5 to 15 minutes.
3. For fourth (and subsequent) submissions, it will take 24 hours to generate the report.
4. 0% similarity is possible, and acceptable.
5. Any resubmission will overwrite previous generated originality reports in the same dropbox.
Note: We have found that students using Safari and Internet Explorer web browsers often have some problems displaying the screens correctly. We recommend using a different browser (e.g. Firefox) or a different computer if possible.
Student users of Turnitin submit papers to a class from the class portfolio page. The class portfolio page is viewed by clicking on the name of the class from the studenthomepage.
1. Click on the class you wish to submit your assignment for Eg. 101 Communication
The class portfolio page lists assignments created by your tutor forstudents to submit to.
Note: If there are no assignments listed, students will not be able to submit any papers to the course until the assignments are created. Ensure that the correct course is being accessed and contact your tutor if no assignments are available to submit to. Only the tutor controlling the course can create these.
You will see your Assignment's listed: Eg. Assignment 1 and will see start, due and post dates for each assignment
Start date: From this date you will be able to generate an originality report on a submission draft or final copy.
Due date: This is when your assignment is due, note both date and time. The time will use 24 hour clock.
Post date: Is the date that you should receive your marked assessment back from grading
2. Click on "Submit" for the assignment you wish to upload to Turnitin
3. Your name will automatically appear in the First and Last name box. Type your WITT student ID number in the "Submission Title" box.
Select to upload your assignment file from either "Choose from this computer" (Select this option if you have saved your file to your computer or to USB stick),"Choose Dropbox" or "Choose from Google Drive"
4. Once your file has been selected it will appear below - click "Upload"
5. It will take a few seconds and a summary page of the submission will appear . Click "Confirm" if you wish to continue with your submission. Click "Cancel" if you wish to change your assignment file.
6. Congratulations! Your submission is now complete. You will receive an email notification confirming your assignment submission date and time to the email address you used to create your Turnitin student profile. If this screen does not appear, your assignment has not uploaded, start the submission process again.
7. Click "Return to assignment list"
Accessing your digital receipt
You can access your report through the same dropbox where you submitted it. If your report is ready, you will see a coloured box in the similarity column.
Click on the similarity percentage or colour band to open your Originality Report and look out for the pop-up window that should appear. (If you don't see anything, check that pop-up's are not blocked, or change your internet browser).
Note that 0% similarity is possible and acceptable!
Processing means that your report has not yet been generated. If you have uploaded a resubmission it will take 24 hours for the Originality Report to generate.
Ensure Originality is selected at the top-left of the page.
You can Download your originality report if you want to, or are required to, by clicking the printer icon at the bottom of the page.
To resubmit your work (after interpreting the originality report Originality Report ) use the Add Submission option at the bottom of the page. Note: resubmitting will overwrite any previous submissions and reports.
Have you submitted your assignment and would like to make some changes?
WITT allows you to resubmit your assignment as many times as you wish up until the assignment due date and time.
To upload a resubmission:
1. Login to Turnitin with your email and password, find the appropriate course
2. Click on the correct assignment link (you will now be able to see your previous submission)
3. Click on 'Resubmit'
4. Follow the above steps of 'How to submit an assignment'
Things to note when resubmitting an assignment: