Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is Turnitin
Introduction to Turnitin, including information about why WITT uses Turnitin and what happens when using Turnitin.
Steps on how set up a student profile for first time users, resetting your password
How do I use Turnitin?
Information on how to use Turnitin, including guidance on accessing Turnitin, submitting work and accessing the originality report.
The Originality Report
Provides guidance on interpreting the Originality Report and includes a video and image of a sample report.
How do I increase originality
Includes suggestions on the ways originality can be increased and provides suggested solutions to scenarios based on different situations arising from the originality report.
Frequently asked Questions (FAQs)
Check for answers to frequently asked questions.
Getting started - Creating a student Turnitin profile
Note: A class ID and enrollment password are required to enroll in a class on Turnitin. This information may only be provided by the tutor of the class.
To create a user profile:
- Go to www.turnitin.com and click on the "Create Account" link next to the "Log In" button
- Click on the "Student" link in the "Create a New Account" section
- The "Create a New Turnitin Student Account" form must be completed to create a new student user account
- Enter the class ID number and the case sensitive Turnitin class enrollment password (if you don't know this contact your tutor)
- Enter the user first name, last name, and a valid e-mail address to use as the login for Turnitin.
If your tutor has requested Anonymous marking for your first name enter your student ID number eg. 2016XXXXXX and last name enter "Student"
- Create a user password. The user password must be between six and twelve characters long and contain at least one letter and one number.
- Re-enter the password to confirm it
- Select a secret question from the drop-down menu. Enter the answer for the question. Remember and keep this information.
- Review the user agreement. To continue using Turnitin, click on "I agree -- create profile"
Note: If step 6 indicates that the e-mail provided is already in Turnitin, there is an existing profile under the e-mail you entered. Please use the Resetting Your Password instructions, if the password has been forgotten, to gain access to the existing user profile, or use an alternate e-mail address for your Turnitin access.
Logging into Turnitin
To begin using Turnitin, you must first log in. During login a cookie will be set on your web browser to allow Turnitin to authorize your access during use of the site. Please ensure that the web browser program you are using will allow this cookie to be set. Please refer to the help or support information for your web browser for more information on allowing cookies from our site, www.turnitin.com.
To login to Turnitin:
- Go to www.turnitin.com
- At the top right, click the "Log In" button to go to the login page
- Enter the e-mail address and password associated with your Turnitin student user account in the appropriate fields
- Click the "Log In" button to log into the student homepage
How to enroll in a class as an existing user
The student homepage displays a list of any courses that the student user profile is enrolled in. Newly created user profiles are automatically enrolled in the class associated with the class ID used to create the user profile.
A single user profile can be used to enroll in multiple classes. Enrollment into additional classes can be completed once the user signs on as the student profile and is viewing the student user homepage. Enrollment in additional classes on Turnitin will always require a valid class ID number and the case sensitive enrollment password for the class. This information can only be given by your tutor.
- Log into Turnitin with a student user profile
- Click on the "enroll in a class" tab on the student homepage
- Enter the class ID and enrollment password for the new class
- Click "submit" to enroll in the class and add it to the student user homepage
Resetting your password
If a Turnitin user password is forgotten or the initial user welcome e-mail is not received, the password can be reset via secret question or e-mail. To reset a password via e-mail, the user information must contain a valid e-mail address. Turnitin cannot send password reset information to any other e-mail.
E-mail password reset:
- Go to www.turnitin.com
- Click on the "Log In" button to go to the login page
- Click on the "Reset Password" link below the login fields.
- Enter the e-mail address associated with a Turnitin user profile and your last name. Click on the "Next" button
Set up with anonymous marking: Last name is Student
- An email will be sent to you with a link to reset your password
- From the email that was sent to you, click on the password reset link or paste it into your browser
- On the password reset page, you must enter a new password and log into Turnitin using the e-mail and new password for your profile
- Enter a new password and confirm it. Click on the 'Next" button
- Click on the link to return to the homepage, then log in as usual.
Note: If you do not receive the e-mail containing the password reset link, make certain that the e-mail service is not filtering this e-mail from email@example.com to spam or junk mail. Add firstname.lastname@example.org to the e-mail contact list or contact your e-mail service for more information on ensuring this important password reset e-mail is able to be received.