ABCs of Evaluating Websites
Anyone can publish anything on the web.
Use this checklist to evaluate the information you find on websites.
- Who is the author or creator?
- What is their qualification or their expertise?
- Is the site sponsored or associated with an organisation?
- Are the contact details available - address, phone number, email?
- Who is the intended audience - children, school students, tertiary students, professionals, amateurs, experts?
- Is it easy to understand or does it require highly specialized knowledge?
- How reliable is the information?
- Can you verify the information found in other sources?
- Do you have good reason to believe the information?
- Is the information referenced?
- Why has the information being published? Is it trying to promote a certain viewpoint?
- Is the site objective?
- Does the content give the site a particular bias or slant?
- Is the content up to date?
- Do all the links work?
- When was the site created or last updated?
For further help
Now, step back and ask yourself, is this website appropriate for your purpose?